Every pupil in basic education has the right to attend a local school allocated by the municipality. In addition, one has the right to apply to other school than the local school allocated by the municipality. In Espoo, these schools are called secondary schools, and the pupil applying to a secondary school is called a secondary applicant.
Secondary applicants can be admitted only if there are free study places in the school's teaching groups after all pupils have first been allocated a local school. Pupils are admitted to a secondary school in the following order:
- A pupil who has moved away from the school's close region, who still lives in Espoo, but wants to continue in one's present school.
- Short commute (pupils living in Espoo).
- Lottery (pupils living in Espoo).
- A pupil living in another municipality (if there are several applicants, a lot is drawn).
When a pupil applies to a secondary school, the guardians must fill in the form Toissijaiseen kouluun hakeminen (doc, 116 Kt) and submit it in the school to which the pupil is applying. Decisions on admission made by the school principal or head teacher.
Pupils selected to a secondary school are not entitled to school transport subsidy and when enrolling in a local school, the pupil's younger sister or brother does not have a sibling basis to be selected in the same school.
Admission principles and application form (available only in Finnish):
>Perusopetuksen oppilaaksiottoa koskevat linjaukset(pdf, 104 Kt)
> Toissijaiseen kouluun hakeminen
Application dates (school year 2019-2020)
Applications arriving during the school year 2019-2020 are processed so that decision on admission are made in the end of each month.
Application dates (school year 2020-2021)
- Thu 30 April 2020 (grades 7-9)
- Wed 6 May 2020 (grades 1-6)
- Fri 29 May 2020 (all grades)
- Fri 31 July 2020 (all grades)
- One additional date available later.
Applications arriving during the school year 2020-2021 are processed so that decision on admission are made in the end of each month.