A unique city
Growing fast and sustainably
Espoo is the second largest and the fastest growing city in Finland with 290 000 inhabitants. Part of the Helsinki Metropolitan Area. The number of residents has increased tenfold within fifty years and the growth will continue by 45 % population growth within next 30 years.
We are home to Aalto University and VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland while companies like Nokia, Fortum, Kone, Neste, Rovio, Outotecand Valmet are headquartered in Espoo. Almost 50 % of the Helsinki Stock Exchange turnover comes from the companies located in Espoo.
Nature is always nearby in our city. We have 95 lakes, 165 islands and 58 km of coastline. 41 % of the surface is water. Forest and recreation areas are only 20 km away from global company headquarters.
We have lively art scene that offers exhibitions, concerts, intrenational festivals and cultural events. The great variety of sports and major international sports events provide possibilities to relax and rejuvenate.
Information about Espoo
Simply the best
- According to various statistics, Espoo is the safest city in Finland, with the healthiest, happiest and most highly educated residents. It is a forerunner in education having been awarded for driving lifelong learning and promoting wellbeing and sense of community among people of different ages and different cultural backgrounds.
- One of the best cities for economic potential in Europe. (8. place in fDi's Small European Cities of the Future 2018/19 category, when comparing small cities (population 100 000 – 350 000) for economic potential.)
- The highest income level compared to the other major cities in Finland
- The youngest residents of all the major Finnish cities. 20 % of inhabitants are under 15 years old.
- One of the most international cities in Finland with 150 different nationalities
Come and be part of our success story!